Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Do it, don't be it

A.S. Byatt has a view I like regarding how artists should think of themselves in relation to their work. (Marissabidilla)

Even though she is an acclaimed and prolific novelist, Byatt says that she still has a hard time thinking of herself, or describing herself, as "a writer." Instead, she says, she thinks of her career in terms of "there's work to be done, something that needs to be said, a new chapter that needs to be written." I am beginning to think that Byatt might have the right idea--that it might be healthier to say "I write plays" instead of "I am a playwright." Putting the emphasis on the work, not on your own ego and identity. (And an active verb like "I write" is always stronger than the verb "to be.")

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar